Halloween, 2011
On October 27 I was packed up and ready to go to the airport for my trip to Vero Beach. Tony, a very good friend called for me at 6:00 for a flight that was to leave at 8:37. Trip to the airport was benign and was pleasantly surprised that my luggage was only 8lbs overweight. However, I was then shocked as to how much I had to pay for those 8lbs. The airport representative really tried to help me out but we couldn’t come up with any resolution except leaving “very important” items behind!!! So I paid up.
It was a rainy, cloudy day and didn’t seem to have any complications because of the weather. The best plans????? My plane was delayed and I was going to miss my connection in Charlotte, N.C. Rushing to speak to another representative and he could only book me on a flight that was to leave Charlotte at 8:20 PM. Yuck. Back at the gate I fortuitously went up the gate to confirm my flight to Charlotte and all of a sudden I was being shuttled to another gate, by electric cart at full speed, where the plane door was just about closing.
Had a benign trip to Charlotte and then settled down for the long wait. Charlotte airport, however, was lovely. Rocking chairs placed around the passenger terminal, food that I could eat under a skylight and occasional conversation with other passengers. Finally at 10:30 pm I saw and hugged my husband who had planned on spending a night at a motel instead of the 40 trip back to Vero Beach.
Friday, arrived and I made a beeline for ‘Interim’. After all I hadn’t seen Simon and expected a gigantic welcome. Ho Hum, a little jump, some tail wagging and a brief cuddle was all he needed. But it was delightful to see him. Oh did I mean Bill or Simon!!!!
A week has gone by waiting for the elusive weather window but we have had the pleasure of meeting new boaters and spending time with Jim and Nancy (best Italian dinner ever), friends from the Bahamas. In addition, we stowed some and provisioned with food to last at least Thanksgiving . When I arrived it was hot and terribly humid but after a torrential rain storm
on Sunday it cooled off and it’s quite pleasant. Unfortunately the bugs remembered me and met Donna. We were so bitten up that we made a trip to a walk in clinic where the doc administered steroid shots to both of us. We are better now but the no-see-ums are out again. We have been having wonderful meals on board and even ate out at bargain eateries. Donna has been playing on her ukulele and lovely music has been wafting over the water. She has been trying to get me to learn but my fingers just don’t have the flexibility – but I have learned 3 chords!
We are settled in for the night and hope to hear good news tomorrow that the crossing to the Bahamas will happen shortly.
No comments:
Post a Comment