Tuesday, November 10, 2009

WE'VE ARRIVED

Once again, up at 6:00 and on our way with ‘Samaria II’ by 6:15 just as the dawn was breaking. Today we traveled through the sounds of Georgia. These bodies of water are usually connected to inlets to the Atlantic Ocean. These sounds can be flat calm or more often than not choppy and sometimes downright ugly. However, we sailed (well maybe not a true sail) through with calm seas and sunshine. A little chilly in the morning but definitely warming up as the day went on. Saw quite a few dolphin but not too close to us. I do think we saw many more on our trip 2 years ago…oh where have they gone!!!
We anchored down in New Teakettle Creek – a safe and quiet night. Through all these days both Bill and I and Garmin worked on keeping a course with enough water under our keel. I made many notes about the status of the waterway’s depth using the internet and several books. However, on Sunday the 8th we met with many possible shoaling areas as well as minor boat difficulties but it was the day we happily left Georgia and crossed into Florida.

After listening to NOAA the government marine weather “experts” and looking at weather information online we decided to make our next stop St. Augustine where we would be protected from any weather associated with hurricane Ida. Our friend Andrew recommended a marina tucked into the harbor. Oyster Creek Marina certainly was a fortuitous stop. The winds picked up yesterday and today was also very windy but we felt very secure in our slip. Right now it is pouring, the wind is blowing and we are very happy to be here.

I think I solved the photo situation…
Please go to :

http://picasaweb.google.com/cdichter3

to see my albums. I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I did taking them.

No comments:

Post a Comment